Prefer a printable download? Click here to purchase this as an Ad-Free PDF download available in my Ravelry Pattern Store
You’ll need approximately 80-100 yards of Weight 6 Yarn, I suggest Bernat Softee Chunky if you prefer no wool or Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick for 20% wool content.
You can choose one or more colors in whatever combination you choose. See pictures for the numbers of rows in the colors I chose.
SUPPLIES, GAUGE, NOTES
- 8mm Needles/ 16” cable
- Stitch Marker
- Tapestry Yarn Needle
Gauge with 9mm needles: 4″ x 4″ = 14.5 rows, 9.5 stitches
Notes: I was able to complete 3 rows for the decrease portion of the beanie continuing to use my 16″ cable needles, but if you find it tricky, switching to DPNs may be helpful.
- sts – Stitches
- k1 – Knit one stitch
- p1 – Purl one stitch
- k2tog – Knit 2 sts together
- Fits average sized teen or woman’s head (22 -23 inch circumference) – use my handy reference chart LINKED HERE to adjust sizing as needed
- Finished Messy Bun Beanie should measure approximately 8 inches tall and 8 inches wide, measured laying flat
THE PATTERN: Plymouth Beanie Winter Hat
Cast on 45 sts and join for working in the round ensuring the foundation is not twisted. Adjust size up for larger or down for smaller in multiples of 3 (smaller 36 sts, medium 39 or 42 sts, larger 48 or 51 sts).
25 ROWS TO MAKE AN AVERAGE HAT
- *k1, k1, p1*, repeat around from * to * around (45 sts)
3 DECREASE ROWS, ROWS 26-28
- *k1, k1, k2tog*
- Repeat from * to * around continuing for 3 rounds past your starting place marker without stopping the repeat. When starting with 45 sts, there will be 19 sts remaining after 3 rounds of decreases.
Cut yarn leaving a 8-10” tail, thread through loops to remove from needles and pull tightly closed. Weave through top, going back and forth across until secure. Pull thread through to inside of hat and loosely weave a few stitches before cutting remainder. Ensure you weave all ends, then add your brand tag and a pom if you wish.
Be creative and keep creating 💕