Updated 2/3/2021 to fix Rows 9, 11, 13, 15 where K5 and P2 were inadvertently transposed.
Mission Accomplished: My 2019 goal was to practice knitting enough to be proficient in color changes with the ultimate goal to have the ability to create simple Fair Isle beanies.
For 2020, my goal is to learn cable knitting. I don’t have the tools I need to do real cable knitting yet so I thought I’d start the new year by creating a “faux cable” look as an entry-level start to 2020. I’ve watched videos explaining a back loop “twist stitch” that creates a “faux knit cable” and I spent New Year’s Day swatching, trying several variations, frogging and re-trying that ended with creation of this faux-cabled beanie to share and ring in the new year. Cheers! 🥂
Yarn: Super Bulky Size 6 – personally, I love Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick.
Color: Glacier blue (also shown in Fisherman cream)
Needles: 9mm, 16″ circular – personally, I love my bamboo Clover Takumi knitting needles
Stitch Abbreviations and Explanation of the Twist stitch:
K1 = Knit 1
P1 = Purl 1
LT = Left twist, this is done with the next two loops on the needle. You will be skipping the closest loop on the left needle, knit in the back loop only of the second loop on the needle, then with that new knit stitch loop still on the right needle, you carry that loop and continue to K1 the first stitch on the needle. After both new knit stitches are on the right needle, pull both loops off the left needle. It creates a twist and you’ll start to see this faux cable effect after continuing a few rows more. Between each even-numbered LT row, the odd rows are all the same and use only K and P.
K2tog = Knit 2 together
- Long tail cast-on: 48 sts
- Rows 1-7 Ribbing: K1, P1 around (48 sts)
- Row 8 Last ribbing row: K1, P1 around. For the last K1, K1 in both the front AND back to increase the stitches to 49 total. Then P1 and start Row 9.
Rows 9-28 (each is repeated 7 times for a total of 49 sts).
- Row 9: K5, P2 around
- Row 10: LT, K3,P2 around
- Row 11: K5, P2 around
- Row 12: K1, LT, K2,P2 around
- Row 13: K5, P2 around
- Row 14: K2, LT, K1,P2 around
- Row 15: K5, P2 around
- Row 16: K3, LT, P2 around
- Rows 17-24: Repeat Rows 9-16
- Rows 25-28: Repeat Rows 9-12
- Row 29: K2tog, K1, K1, repeat around and end with another K1 (this reduces your total to 37 sts)
- Row 30: K2tog, K1, K1, repeat around and end with another K1 (this reduces your total to 28 sts)
- Row 31: K2tog, K1, repeat around and end with another K1 (this reduces your total to 19 sts)
Finish: Cut an 8″ tail and thread through then cinch closed.
Pom is optional, of course! Enjoy 💕
Pictured here is the faux cabling that the left twist (LT) stitches create: