The special inspiration to make this hat comes from a friend’s granddaughter who loves Poppy Troll. I started searching for yarn that would fit the need for hippy style! Enter my new favorite indulgence: Malabrigo Rasta yarn 🧶 Because the yarn is so amazing, I kept the stitches simple plus it’s just easy for a beginning knitter to create something marvelous when I’m working with amazing color!
Poppy, the hippy dippy fun-loving troll who inspired this yarn search:
Toddler 2-3 years, about 18-19″ head circumference
Yarn and Pom:
Malabrigo Rasta in Electrica (pink/purple dyes),
Malabrigo Rasta Solis (blue/green dyes)
Pom: Threadhead Knit Co. (amazing hand-tied poms), Size Medium
Needles: 9mm, 16″ circular – personally, I love my bamboo Clover Takumi knitting needles
- Using Electrica color, Long tail cast-on: 32 sts
When working the first row or two, this will be tight since this is a pretty small hat on a 16″ circular, keep with it, be patient, by the second and third rows, it gets easier!
- Rows 1-5 Ribbing: K1, P1 around (32 sts)
- Rows 6-10 Body: K1 around (32 sts)
- Change color to Solis for Rows 11-13: K1 around (32 sts)
- Change color back to Electrica for Rows 14-23: K1 around (32 sts)
If you want this hat longer/taller, keep going a few more rows to make it a “slouchy” hat before starting the K2tog decreasing rows.
- Row 24: K2, K2tog (16 sts)
- Row 25: K1 around (16 sts)
- Row 26: K2tog, repeat around (8 sts)
Cut an 8″ tail and thread through then cinch closed.