Yarn: Super Bulky Size 6 – personally, I love Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick.
Color: Fisherman (cream)
Needles: 10mm, 16″ circular – personally, I love my bamboo Clover Takumi knitting needles
K1 = Knit 1
P1 = Purl 1
K2tog = Knit 2 together
sts = stitches
The Pattern: Headspin Messy Bun Beanie
- Long tail cast-on: 48 sts (alternatively, you can use any multiple of 4 for knitting in the round (increase to make a little bigger, looser – decrease to make a little smaller, tighter circumference). Mine is 4 stitches x12 repeats = cast on 48, because I’ve found casting on 44-48 stitches with a 10mm needle makes a decent adult-sized hat brim that’s not too tight. For smaller children, you could cast on as few as 36 (9 repeats).
- For Reference: The circumference of my head is 23″ – I measure where the brim sits around my head (I wrap the tape measure going around the base of the skull where my hairline is the back then come around the front of the middle of my forehead).
- Rows 1-6, Ribbing: K1, P1 around (48 sts)
- Rows 7 and 8: [K3, P1 repeat around 10 times] (48 sts)
- Rows 9 and 10: P1, [K3,P1 repeat around 9 times], K3 to end the round (48 sts)
- Rows 11 and 12: K1, P1, [K3,P1 repeat around 9 times], K2 to end the round (48 sts)
- Rows 13 and 14: K2, P1, [K3,P1 repeat around 9 times], K1 to end the round (48 sts)
- Rows 15 to 22: Repeat Rows 7 to 14 (48 sts)
- Row 23: [K2, K2tog, repeat around 12 times] (this reduces your total to 36 sts)
- Row 24: [K2, K2tog repeat around 9 times) (this reduces your total to 27 sts)
- Row 25: [K2, K2tog repeat around 7 times) (this reduces your total to 20 sts)
- Bind off to leave a ponytail, messy bun opening at the top of the hat
That’s it! Easy peasy!
This Headspin Messy Bun Beanie is a great alternative, smaller than a hat leaving room for your hair but bigger than a headband with a little more coverage.
Enjoy & Be Creative